On January 13, 2010 8:16:36 AM -0600 Stan Hoeppner <s...@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
Frank Cusack put forth on 1/12/2010 9:46 PM:

I think it all ended well though?  Except my problem still exists. :\

We know things break when that hosts sends mail to you.  What happens
when you send mail to that host?  Do you see the same disconnect problem
or similar? What were the results of tcpdump?

Sending mail works fine.  Interesting.

Contrary to what I said earlier, tcpdump is in fact interesting.  I see
a 3 way handshake, and that's it.  10 minutes later, a reset.  However
postfix logs a disconnect immediately.  I do notice that their mss is
only 1260, so clearly they are going through some kind of packet mangling
firewall.  But that doesn't excuse postfix for declaring the connection
disconnected when in fact no packet came from them.  What I don't
understand though, is if smtpd goes away prematurely, then when it exits
shouldn't a FIN or RST get sent?

I'm going to explore the resolver issue.

-frank