Daniel V. Reinhardt wrote:

JM,

There are various online tutorials that describe how to setup a proper name
server, and how to administer one.  If they are unable to teach themselves,
then they should get rejected till they become better educated in the practices
of Information Technology and System Administration.  Most of those countries
you speak of setup e-mail for only one thing, and that is to propagate spam out
to the world.  Ever received email from a prince stating they will give you 50
Million USD if you send him 10K?  If yes, then you know what I am talking about.

Sure... But have you ever maintained some communication with people from these countries ? Small companies, NGOs (non gouvernemental organisations), small schools. Sometimes, in non english talking countries their mail admins don't even talk/read english fluently and there are hardly tutorials written in their language. And they have more serious problems to handle than a "perfectly defined PTR for their mail server".

The environnement in these countries isn't the same as in United States, and you simply can't impose the same requirements you can impose to mail servers in USA.

A good example now are mail servers in Haiti which shall probably be operating in difficult conditions. And they too are more concerned in survival than having good PTRs. You just can't reject messages coming from Haiti mailservers just because their mailservers may not have a perfectly defined PTR record.

In my humble personnal opinion, I agree that we can give less priority to these servers but not just reject messages from these kind of servers.

José-Marcio