On January 17, 2010 12:37:46 PM -0800 "Daniel V. Reinhardt" <crypto...@yahoo.com> wrote:
A proper ISP and Host would have the proper PTR Records set up thus
validating the said sender as being part of a reputable ISP or Host.

I am a "proper" host with a "proper" ISP.  Yet I do not have a PTR record
for this particular IP.  That doesn't make my mail server any LESS valid.

My previous smtp host was also a "proper" host with a "proper" PTR however
it was simply a DHCP address on a microwave wireless link.  The presence
of the PTR record didn't make my mail server any MORE valid.

In neither case is/was the ISP in a position to vet the validity of my
mail server, except to the extent that they get abuse reports of course.
(Which has nothing to do with whether or not a PTR record exists.)

I would argue that the spf record I maintain validates my mail server
much more than any PTR record, yet rejection based on PTR record seems
to not let (at least some) mail servers even get to the point where
they would validate my spf record.