Doug Robbins:
> Messages containing leading whitespace in the recipient address are
> rejected.

Only if the recipient does not exist.

> Example:
>
> Jan 22 08:32:41 vps10 postfix/smtpd[5937]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
> smtpout.eastlink.ca[24.222.0.30]: 550 5.1.1 < soli...@example.com>:
> Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table;
> from=<dba...@example2.com> to=< soli...@example.com> proto=ESMTP
> helo=<mta03.eastlink.ca>
>
> soli...@example.com is a legitimate and functioning mail account.

But the client sent " soli...@example.com" including the quotes.

In SMTP, quotes are necessary when a string contains special
characters.  Postfix does not attempt to typo-correct quoted strings.

> Is there something I can do to avoid these rejections (other than the
> obvious -- get dba...@example2.com to fix his address book)?

The most practical solution is to educate the user (it might take
a long time to get the client software fixed so it better handles
stupid data-entry errors like this one).

You can use quoted strings in hash/btree/cdb/dbm aliases(5) maps

    " soliver": soliver

I don't think that Postfix supports quoted strings in any form of
virtual aliases or in canonical maps, not even with *SQL or LDAP.

Finally, Postfix 2.7 can compensate for almost all forms of SMTP
client-side brain damage with the smtpd_command_filter feature.

/etc/postfix/main.cf:
    smtpd_command_filter = pcre:/etc/postfix/braindead.pcre

/etc/postfix/braindead.pcre
    /^(MAIL FROM:<")\s+(.+)/    $1$2

There's a similar feature for fixing remote SMTP server replies.