/dev/rob0 <r...@gmx.co.uk> wrote ..
> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 07:28:35PM +0000, Frog wrote:
> > Every now and then in the logs I see a message such as this:
> >
> > Feb 13 14:37:37 lnxsrv01 postfix/local[19279]: 6A861302508:
> > to=<:blackhole:@lxxxxx.xxxxx.com>, orig_to=<tanzeel...@xxxxx.com>,
> > relay=local, delay=0.49, delays=0.23/0.18/0/0.08, dsn=5.1.1,
> > status=bounced (unknown user: ":blackhole:")
> >
> > In this case it is spam that has been rejected
>
> No, it's backscatter. You accepted it, then sent a bounce.

Ok, That's what I was thinking as some of the hosted domains have been migrated
from another server recently.

> > but in almost 8 years of using Postfix I have never seen this
> > before.
> >
> > Here is the output from postconf -n
>
> You have munged domain names, looking inconsistent at that, so if
> your question pertains to mail routing, it is not possible to help
> you.
>
> I can guess what might have happened. You got spam for this
> orig_to=<tanzeel...@xxxxx.com>, and it was rewritten (perhaps by
> alias_maps; perhaps by virtual_alias_maps) to this other
> to=<:blackhole:@lxxxxx.xxxxx.com> address. That munged domain is in
> mydestination (although your munging did not show that), and there's
> no local user nor alias called ":blackhole:".
>
> Why this ":blackhole:" result? You'd have to tell us.

The server has been setup with Virtualmin to hande all virtual hosting but
oddly the other Virtualmin servers never displayed similar messages in the
logs. Maybe blackhole has something too do with Virtualmin. In any event I will
have to ask them.

> > alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
>
> > mydestination = xxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxx.com, localhost.xxxxxxxxxx.com, ,
> >  localhost
> > myhostname = xxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxx.com
> > myorigin = /etc/mailname
>
> > sender_bcc_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/bcc
>
> > virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
>
> > Any assistance greatfuly appreciated
>
> The problem description was inadequate, but I left in the possibly
> relevant postconf lines.

So I guess it is largely backscatter that is responsible. Time to read the
documentation.

Many thanks for your help.
-Frog