On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 05:43 -0500, /dev/rob0 wrote:

> > I'm aware of address extension.
>
> I think maybe I have discussed this with you before as well.

I don't think so :-)

> > It is a well-known trick, so the
> > extension is likely to be stripped off by spam senders.
>
> Funny thing about that. I have exactly one spamtrap address, and
> precisely because of spammers stripping the extension. Some years
> back, I made a few posts to a mailing list using this address:
> list+el...@nodns4.us . Note, no munging considered necessary.
>
> That address is not spammed at all; neither is the list@ address.
> el...@nodns4.us is my spamtrap! I get lots of hits on that, over
> 2000 in the past month.
>
> So, IME there is nothing to support your assumption about spammer
> behavior. I would know it if the list@ address started to get hit.
> I'd still be able to control it, because the only valid use of that
> address have been list sunscriptions, each containing a +tag. But
> this hasn't been necessary.
>
> Moral of the story: maybe harvest bots are dumber than you think.
> Likewise, perhaps, so is your catchall. :)

OK, I saw different behaviour. But that was somewhere beginning of the
90's when I only had a single e-mail address.

I switched to catchall after I had my own domains and up to a year or
so, there was not that much spam on it. I took my measures and now I
have a few spam mails catched by SA every day and maybe 1 or 2 in my
inbox, mostly because I don't greylist my regular addresses.

> To be fair, I have used user+t...@addresses in other situations, and
> in those cases it's not possible to say with certainty that user@
> wasn't added to some spam list behind the scenes. But there too, I'm
> able to say that spam is not a major problem for me. HELO checks and
> Zen catch all but a few.

That's my experience too. I used to have a few hand-written rules and SA
working together with over 95% percent result.

> Oh, this was about greylist server recommendations, so I'll toss in
> my opinion about that as well. I used to use sqlgrey. It is a fine
> piece of software, well and actively maintained (even when Lionel
> took a hiatus, he got a standin maintainer. The list, although very
> quiet, is monitored.)
>
> I stopped using it years ago. The pain of greylisting wasn't worth
> the minimal benefits. I did not notice any substantive, measurable
> difference in spam with and without greylisting.
>
> I think by now the vast number of spambots mean that it's feasible
> for any given zombie to go through its list more than once. I *do*
> think that much of what little zombie spew I see comes in twice.
> Possibly the occasional lack of the second copy means that the CBL
> picked it up in the meantime.

I've had only 1 or 2 spambots passing greylisting every week. I don't
have stats for the number of drops. But the list of "unanswered"
greylistings is huge.

> Spamhaus PBL was extremely effective against zombies, as was the
> widespread blockage of outbound port 25. I think the battle against
> zombies will be shifting back to the relay-through-smarthost model
> rather than the direct-to-MX model. This means that a postmaster's
> job will be getting much harder.
>
> Imagine that!

Yes, the number of relay attempts is increasing rapidly. I really need
to cut out large parts of the /var/log/mail in logwatch reports.

Bas.