On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Noel Jones <njo...@megan.vbhcs.org> wrote:
> On 4/6/2010 11:39 AM, Robert Lopez wrote:
>>
>> For some time I have been tracking changes to the access table with RCS.
>> Each time a change is made the "ci access" results in the removal of
>> the access file  from /etc/postfix and leaving the
>> /etc/postfix.access.db file.
>>
>> Today I tried to check in a cidr table named cidr-ip. Upon check-in
>> (and restart of postfix) I got this message in the maillog file:
>> Apr  6 10:12:57 mg05 postfix/smtpd[4632]: fatal: open
>> /etc/postfix/cidr-ip: No such file or directory
>>
>> A "postmap -q<any-pattern-in-file>  cidr-ip" returns the rest of the
>> matching line correctly.
>> An strace of "postmap -q<any-pattern>  cidr-ip" shows it is the
>> cidr-ip.db file that is being read.
>>
>> Why does postfix not like the source file being removed from the
>> /etc/postfix directory?
>
> cidr tables are plain-text tables.  The source file is the live table data.
>  The .db file is your mistake; cidr tables should not be indexed with
> postmap.

That surprises me.

The man page seems to me to indicate otherwise.
My confusion is with this sentence:
"These tables are usually in dbm or  db  format."
which is from the Description portion below...

CIDR_TABLE(5)                                                    CIDR_TABLE(5)

NAME
       cidr_table - format of Postfix CIDR tables

SYNOPSIS
       postmap -q "string" cidr:/etc/postfix/filename

       postmap -q - cidr:/etc/postfix/filename <inputfile

DESCRIPTION
       The  Postfix  mail  system  uses  optional  lookup tables.
       These tables are usually in dbm or  db  format.   Alterna-
       tively,  lookup tables can be specified in CIDR (Classless
       Inter-Domain Routing) form. In this case,  each  input  is
       compared  against  a  list  of  patterns.  When a match is
       found, the corresponding result is returned and the search
       is terminated.

       To  find out what types of lookup tables your Postfix sys-
       tem supports use the "postconf -m" command.

       To test lookup tables, use the  "postmap  -q"  command  as
<snip>

--
Robert Lopez
Unix Systems Administrator