On 4/6/2010 12:57 PM, Robert Lopez wrote:
On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Noel Jones<njo...@megan.vbhcs.org>  wrote:
On 4/6/2010 11:39 AM, Robert Lopez wrote:

For some time I have been tracking changes to the access table with RCS.
Each time a change is made the "ci access" results in the removal of
the access file  from /etc/postfix and leaving the
/etc/postfix.access.db file.

Today I tried to check in a cidr table named cidr-ip. Upon check-in
(and restart of postfix) I got this message in the maillog file:
Apr  6 10:12:57 mg05 postfix/smtpd[4632]: fatal: open
/etc/postfix/cidr-ip: No such file or directory

A "postmap -q<any-pattern-in-file>    cidr-ip" returns the rest of the
matching line correctly.
An strace of "postmap -q<any-pattern>    cidr-ip" shows it is the
cidr-ip.db file that is being read.

Why does postfix not like the source file being removed from the
/etc/postfix directory?

cidr tables are plain-text tables.  The source file is the live table data.
  The .db file is your mistake; cidr tables should not be indexed with
postmap.

That surprises me.

The man page seems to me to indicate otherwise.
My confusion is with this sentence:
"These tables are usually in dbm or  db  format."

That statement is followed by "Alternatively, ..."

Writing concise, unambiguous man pages isn't easy. Contributed documentation patches are always welcome (but not always adopted).

  -- Noel Jones