On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 05:20:37PM +0200, Danny wrote:
> I am running Debian 5.4 with postfix 2.5.5-1.1, fetchmail
> 6.3.9rc2-4 and procmail 3.22-16.
>
> Now, before I upgraded to Debian 5.4 I had Debian 4.0 running the
> same postfix, fetchmail & procmail setup(with different versions
> obviously).
>
> Fetchmail got the mail, gave it to procmail via the ("mda formail
> -s procmail") flag in my /etc/fetchmailrc file.

Nothing in any of that indicates that you really are doing anything
with Postfix. You use fetchmail(1) to retrieve (POP3 or IMAP) from a
remote server, then pass to the procmail(1) delivery agent.

> Everything was running just nicely.
>
> So now I upgraded to Debian 5.4 and it seems like fetchmail is no
> longer calling procmail. Fetchmail just dumps everything into the
> /var/spool/mail/fetchmail file. It looks like it is bypassing the
> "mda" flag.

Then I guess you might have a Debian packaging bug. You should
probably file a Debian bug against fetchmail. (It could be an
upstream bug too, but the Debian fetchmail maintainer should know.)

> My .procmailrc file is fine I think.
>
> So someone I know said that I should delete the following command
> in postfix's main.cf file ....
>
> mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail -a "$EXTENSION"
>
> ... but this does not change anything. Am I missing something here?

The right mailing list. :) Also, apparently not understanding that
Postfix plays no role in the mail handling you described. If there
really IS a Postfix issue, see here before posting again:

> My /etc/fetchmail file is like this:
> #####################################
> set syslog
> set postmaster "root"
> set no bouncemail
> set logfile "/var/log/fetchmail.log"
> set spambounce
>
> poll ###.###.###.###
>   proto pop3
>   user "username"
>   pass "password"
>   fetchall
>   expunge 50
>   mda "formail -s procmail"
>
> The top of my /root/.procmailrc file looks like this:

This whole thing appears to be off topic, but one thing I will
mention: it's wrong and potentially dangerous to handle user tasks
like mail as root. This looks like it should all be done from a
non-root user account.