15.06.2010 21:12, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
* Wietse Venema<wie...@porcupine.org>:

More thoroughly, when I search for all IP addresses that show up
in postscreen "DNSBL rank XXX" records:

% egrep "`awk '/DNSBL rank/ { print $NF }' /var/log/maillog | sort -u`"
/var/log/maillog | grep smtpd

If I try this, I'm getting:
-bash: /bin/egrep: Argument list too long
which is a bad sign

Out of curiocity: how large that list is?  Or, maybe, what is
the system you're using (if it's linux, which kernel version)?

On linux, command line length limits were shifted to, well,
huge values some time ago, somewhere in 2.6.2x series if
memory serves me right, and I for one weren't successful in
reaching that limit so far -- e.g, i can do `rm *' from
within a maildir/cur directory with 50000 messages in it
(each with long filename) and it just do the thing without
complaining... ;)

/mjt