Hi Stan

Subject: Re: performance tuning - relay
Date: Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 01:23:15AM -0500
Quoting Stan Hoeppner (s...@hardwarefreak.com):

: What piqued my curiosity is why the queue on server2 starting growing, and
: rather large at that, _after_ you got the Postfix bottleneck straightened out
: on server1.

I was expecting this and don't have a problem with this limitation.  The
maildrop rule is rather long and I knew I would get penalized.  However
delays on local delivery on Server2 has no impact to production so it's
ok.

: I would have thought this hardware would be able to get the mails into the
: mailboxen as quickly as server1 could push them over, without the queue
: building up as you demonstrated in a previous message.  Email service is
: primarily a disk bound application.  IIRC, with the DL385G4 you would have the
: Smart Array 6i which is an integrated entry level controller.  Even so, with
: 128MB of read/write cache and 6x10k(15?)rpm drives on a SCSI 320 bus, even in
: a slowish RAID5 configuration, you should easily be able to sync to mailboxen
: as many messages as server1 could push over either fast or gigabit ethernet.
: This server should be able to sync a few hundred emails to disk per second.
: Is the 6i just really horrible at RAID5, or is there something in the software
: stack slowing things down?  Were you peaking the disk subsystem when the queue
: was building?
:
: I'm not familiar at all with maildrop as I've never used it.  That said, I
: wouldn't think maildrop alone would cause such a bottleneck.  Some versions of
: Reiser are known for great speed will lots of small files, at least as far as
: delete performance.  However, most versions of Reiser do not do so well with
: large files.  Reiser is normally a good performer with maildir, but doesn't do
: so well with mbox, especially once the mbox files get large.

Maildrop is just procmail for Maildir.  I had to use Maildir
format as there are hundreds of thousands of email to the always_bcc
email on Server2.

: Other disk writes?  Is maildrop or any other process you're running creating
: extra log stamps per email processed?  I assume you're storing the OS, logs,
: mail, everything on that RAID5 volume.  Is this correct?
:
: As you stated, you're not really concerned with queue growth on server2.  I
: went through all this simply because I think you're leaving some performance,
: maybe quite a bit, on the table WRT server2.  I'm guessing it's in the
: OS/software stack and not the hardware.  You may be able to get this box
: screaming with simple changes (reduce logging to only what's necessary), and
: maybe one or two more major changes (maildir to mbox or vice versa, switching
: from Reiser--defunct now anyway--to XFS).  Or a really big change, dumping
: Maildrop/Courier for Dovecot/LDA which is quite a bit quicker from everything
: I've read.  I say read because I've not used Courier but I have used Dovecot,
: and still do.

Server2 wasn't my concern, Server1 was :)

The issue as far as I could see Server1 was unable to feed enough email
to Server2, I knew there was a limit somewhere on Server1 that prevented
this.

: Sorry if I've wasted your time here.  I just thought I'd point out a few
: things just in case you get the urge to poke around on server2 looking for a
: little performance boost.

There is no such thing as wasting time here, I am grateful for anyone to
reply to my question.  Thanks *_^