On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 11:06:44PM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> I will say generically that for an OP who has the time, avoiding content
> filters and using SMTP time blocking methods is probably more effective in the
> long run and makes more efficient use of network and server resources.

You always have time to advertise content filters being "bad", so I just
have to make a pointless rebuttal..

Can you tell me any big public service (not a one man server) that doesn't
use content filtering at all? By public I don't mean a site that has the
ability to block freemailers, universities, etc hacked accounts..

I'm sure any serious site uses lots of SMTP time rejects, but you _need_
some sort of content filtering for the rest. Unless you bear the burden on
clients MUA.

PS. I think I've spent maybe an hour or two maintaining our mail server in
the last few months, and it's still running fine.. how is that not
efficient? My work time costs much more than the imaginary network and
server resources.