On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 12:16 AM, Mihira Fernando <mihirathe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  On 09/08/2010 12:33 PM, Yang Zhang wrote:
>>
>> Are there any extensions to Postfix that can aggregate multiple
>> outgoing emails into a single email within some time window?
>>
>> We're developing an application that runs on multiple hosts and emails
>> notifications to us (the developers @gmail.com) whenever something
>> goes wrong, via a postfix server.  However, we've run into issues
>> where the application spews hundreds of such errors in rapid
>> succession, leading Gmail to bounce our messages.  This is why we're
>> interested first and foremost throttling messages, but ideally also
>> aggregating messages together into a periodic digest that is emitted
>> at most once per minute.  Any other (low-effort) solution ideas would
>> be appreciated as well.
>> --
>> Yang Zhang
>> http://yz.mit.edu/
>>
> how about writing the errors to a log and email the log via a cron job ?

We were actually considering just tailing our logs for errors, but
it's a bit more work because a bunch of the error reporting logic is
actually not necessarily logged, and the errors are caught/emails are
generated by libraries that we didn't develop.  Failing to find other
solutions we might opt for this.
--
Yang Zhang
http://yz.mit.edu/