On 2010-09-10 5:50 AM, Stan Hoeppner <s...@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> Indexes can speed up IMAP performance a decent amount, but they don't
> help POP performance at all.

Dovecots indexes speed up IMAP performance quite dramatically in most
cases, not just a 'decent amount', at least as compared to Courier -
well, lets just say with dovecot as an option, I just don't understand
why anyone in their right mind would use Courier. Dovecot is faster by
an order of magnitude (or more?), and reduces the load just as dramatically.

As far as I know, Courier's speed issues are mostly IMAP related, so if
you're only using it for POP, you'd probably be fine using it - but I
actually agree with Stan that I don't think you'd have a problem at all
with dovecot in your scenario, so if it were me (just for my own
edification), I'd 'pop' in and ask Timo (provide full details of your
specific use case).

>> You're offering POP only, so simply don't configure LDA in
>> dovecot.conf.

> Comprehension problems? What part of dovecot is EXCLUDED did you not
> understand?
>
> You offered nothing to this thread given you are a dovecot user.
> please do not waste my time again

What's with the animosity??

> Please note, we are silent lurkers, we know some of you are on both
> lists, and aware of the threads I speak of, so are not interested in
> your POV in for's or against's or what they have said,

Even if your understanding/comprehension (POV) of said thread(s) and/or
issue(s) is flawed? I don't really care what POP server you or anyone
else uses, but if/when someone gives a false impression of something
don't you think that should at least be corrected?

Regardless, the bottom line is, dovecot is (and probably always will be)
first and foremost an IMAP server - its POP support is decent, but it
isn't optimized for it, and I'm sure there are many cases where you
would want to use something else for POP, even if you are using dovecot
for IMAP.

>>> Another quick question before I depart for work, I understand also (from
>>> that other lists thread) that postfix does not support maildir++

>> Maildir++ adds only two features to maildir:

> wrong it adds more than what you claim it does

Care to be more specific? From what I've read, Stan is right:

http://www.inter7.com/courierimap/README.maildirquota.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maildir#Maildir.2B.2B

On 2010-09-10 9:30 AM, Curtis Maurand <cur...@maurand.com> wrote:
> I've been using dbmail (http://dbmail.org) for some time now.

DBMail is an SQL based email STORAGE system that happens to provide
POP/IMAP services... not something I'd recommend (way heavier than
necessary) for someone who just wants to offer a POP daemon to an NFS
mail spool...

--

Best regards,

Charles