On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 06:27:15PM -0800, Alan Batie wrote:

> On 2/1/11 5:13 PM, Victor Duchovni wrote:
>
> > Don't add transport table entries of the form:
> >
> >     example.com     error:example.com
> >     OR
> >             example.com     error
> >
> > The error message "example.com" will be as meaningless to the sender
> > as you intend. You get similar results when you set "local_transport =
> > error" or "relay_transport = error", ...
>
> OK, yeah, zimbra has "virtual_transport = error" all right.  Given that,
> I can hack their main.cf as suggested, but that only gives a generic error:
>
> >     local_transport = error:5.1.1 Mailbox unavailable
>
> ...which will tell me *nothing* about *why* the mailbox is unavailable
> and where I should start looking to fix something.

The mailbox is unavailable, because you say so! Postfix does not know
why you choose to disable virtual mailbox delivery. You provide the
reason. You could say:

    error:5.1.1 Mailbox unavailble in years that are 3 mod 4 primes.

and then your number-theory friends will know why they can't reach you
this year. If you don't want to route any mail into a dead-end error
transport, don't add the domains to the respective address class,
or make sure that each valid domain has a more explicit transport in
the transport table.

Bottom line, and you really need change gears here, normal Postfix
logging is in *very* helpful and clear. Postfix allows you to customize
error responses, and when you do that, don't blame Postfix.

This thread is over. If want some configuration advice, start a new
thread. Complaining about the logging system is not productive, when
the damage is self-inflicted (even if inadvertently so).

--
        Viktor.