On 02/11/2011 08:59 PM, Jeroen Geilman wrote:
On 02/11/2011 06:22 PM, Zach Wily wrote:
On Friday, February 11, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Jeroen Geilman wrote:
On 02/11/2011 05:50 PM, Zach Wily wrote:
This was designed to implement a graveyard service for mail
that can't be delivered via the preferred service.
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtp_fallback_relay
I tried this, but when a message to aws-email fails, it enters
SOFTBOUNCE state and sits in the queue.
You have soft_bounce = yes enabled.
This is a bad idea for production systems.
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#soft_bounce
I'm not sure it's a bad idea on this system. The only email it is
sending is from a local application. In the event that delivery
fails, I'd like the messages to stay queued and retried later. This
has been helpful before, like when we hit our AuthSMTP quota without
knowing it. Once we fixed the situation, the queue would empty and
all the message go out.
Is there something bad about soft_bounce that I'm missing?
Either way, I tried turning it off, and I still didn't get the
behavior I want. When I hit Amazon's limit, emails started failing
and were not delivered via AuthSMTP. The relevant config looked like
this:
soft_bounce = yes
default_transport = aws-email
This is a transport.
smtp_fallback_relay = [mail.authsmtp.com]:2525
This is a mail host.
In the normal case, your mail would be queued for
aws-email:destination.domain
In case this causes errors, it would re-queue to
aws-email:[mail.authsmtp.com]:2525
I would suggest you use relay_host = [amazon.ses.server] instead.
Argh. That should be
relayhost = [amazon.ses.server]
--
J.