On 2/14/2011 6:12 AM, Georg Schönweger wrote:
[SNIP]
You get "Relay access denied" when you're contacting a RECEIVING mail
server with a message that that mailserver doesn't want to handle,
because it's not the authoritative destination for that domain.
Nothing here implies anything wrong with a legitimate relay that
you're using on the SENDING side. If that works at all, then it's
fine. Either you're authorized to relay through it or not. Using/not
using that is a separate decision altogether. The receiver doesn't
care how many relays a message has been through. It cares only about
two things: 1) is the most recent hop blacklisted; 2) do I (the
receiver) handle the recipient address (domain and username) either as
a relay or as the final destination.

You are failing test 2) it seems.

Main question -- is the receiving mail server in question listed as a
current MX for domain.com? (Or is your webserver somehow accessing
stale MX...)  But If the MX indeed is current, the receiving server is
probably just misconfigured and you can do nothing but contact the
remote site's postmaster. (By phone perhaps, depending on the level of
brokenness?!? :-))

-Daniel