On 3/18/2011 2:45 PM, Simon Brereton wrote:
[snip]
This is not part of Postfix. It is a third-party quota patch that
some distributors include. For support, ask the distributor.
Thank you for knowing my system better than I do (did I mention
it's a
few years) since I did the initial install.  I suspect part of the
reason I haven't done an upgrade recently is because of the LOE
involved in applying the patch you mention..
I, too, hate replacing programs that work.
Aye - but it's old and I'm worried about hardware failure and I never
documented the original install so I'd be screwed if it failed or my old Debian
install got hacked..  sigh

If - as I suspect - your default opinion is that it's not postfix's
task to manage disk quotas what is the recommended approach for
this?

Dovecot has quotas built-in and other features such as per-user
filters that Postfix will not provide. It also plays nice with
Postfix to authenticate SMTP clients with SASL. Dovecot, hooked up to
Postfix with LMTP would be a good combination.
For now I'm wedded to Courier.  I don't have that many users, I'll just write a
script to tell me the size of the maildirs and warn me if a limit is being
reached.

Thanks for your help as always.

Just being a googlebot again, but does this help? http://www.courier-mta.org/imap/README.maildirquota.html Using the Maildir++ extended Maildir format: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maildir#Maildir.2B.2B

-Daniel