On 06/06/2011 01:11 AM, Jeroen Geilman wrote:
On 06/06/2011 01:02 AM, Marc Chamberlin wrote:

Thanks Wietse for replying!  From your reply, I think you are
interpreting my question as asking how Apache James can use
Postfix/Sendmail to process email for it. Actually, what I need is the
other way around, how to configure Postfix/Sendmail to relay email to
the Apache James email server without causing a conflict between the two
services. If you follow the link to the webpage that I provided in my
posting, it will explain what is needed to run the old Sendmail app with
Apache James. Basically there are 4 things which need to be done -

    1. Stop Postfix/Sendmail from running as an SMTP daemon
    2. Set up Postfix's frontend Sendmail to relay email to the James
server on localhost.
    3. Stop Postfix's Sendmail complaining about mail apparently looping
back, if necessary.
4. James requires SMTP AUTH, so mail relayed to it from Sendmail will
need to follow the log in protocols.

I won't need Postfix to receive and process email for local users
either, just need the Sendmail API for other applications running on the
servers.

1. Comment out the smtpd(8) service in master.cf.
2. Configure the domains in question as relay_domains; fill in relay_recipient_maps if they are known, or unset it if they are not. NOTE that unsetting relay_recipient_maps inherently trusts all mail submitted via sendmail(1); it's up to you if you want to risk this.

I forgot to mention that if you want to allow this for ALL mail, this won't work; you will have to allow all mail to relay through postfix, and set up relayhost to point to your James instance.
The risk noted above will increase accordingly.

3. Show that this happens at all.
4. Set up client SASL in the smtp(8) service as documented in http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#client_sasl

Reload postfix.

--