Zitat von Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org>:

Marc Chamberlin:
On 6/5/2011 9:36 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
> Marc Chamberlin:
>> Hello -
>>
>> I am a new subscriber to this mail list and am in need of some help
>> configuring Postfix/Sendmail to work with the Apache James email server.
>> Don't get me wrong on this, Postfix is probably a fine MTA, but I have
>> some complex mailets designed which run under Apache James. ;-) Anywise,
>> in the past, I have usually turned off Postfix, on my servers, and just
>> used the older Sendmail to handle the mail interface for some other
>> applications that are also running on my servers. (Bugzilla and Bacula
>> in particular) To accomplish this, the people at Apache James supplied a
>> set of instructions (now found at
>> http://wiki.apache.org/james/JamesAndSendmail ) to configure Sendmail
>> just to relay email it picks up, to James, and not conflict with James
>> in using the ports)
>>
>> My distro (openSuSE 11.4) appears to be dropping the older Sendmail and
>> moving towards Postfix instead. I know that Postfix supplies a somewhat
>> compatible SendMail front end, so as to remain compatible with those
>> applications that use Sendmail. What I need to know is how to configure
>> Postfix/SendMail to work with and be compatible with Apache James. In
>> other words, I would like to be able to accomplish the same effective
>> configuration as was done and explained on the above mentioned webpage.
> If you can describe what Sendmail features Apache James requires,
> then an experienced Postix admin here can tell you if you need to
> change any Apache/Postfix settings at all.
>
> For example, if it connected to Sendmail with SMTP, then all settings
> you need are in http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html.
>
>    Wietse

Thanks Wietse for replying!  From your reply, I think you are
interpreting my question as asking how Apache James can use
Postfix/Sendmail to process email for it.

Indeed. You wrote that "Postfix supplies a somewhat compatible
SendMail SendMail front end". This front end RECEIVES non-network
email and inserts it into the Postfix queue for processing.

Actually, what I need is the other way around, how to configure
Postfix/Sendmail to relay email to the Apache James email server
without causing a conflict between the two services.

You mean, both running on the same machine. What is the purpose of
having two SMTP programs on the same machine?

If you follow the link to the webpage that I provided in my
posting, it will explain what is needed to run the old Sendmail app with
Apache James. Basically there are 4 things which need to be done -

   1. Stop Postfix/Sendmail from running as an SMTP daemon

Execute:
    # postfix stop

   2. Set up Postfix's frontend Sendmail to relay email to the James
server on localhost.

Documented in:
http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html#firewall

   3. Stop Postfix's Sendmail complaining about mail apparently looping
back, if necessary.

The most robust way is to configure a second IP address, with its
own unique hostname. Specify:

/etc/postfix/main.cf:
    inet_interfaces = the second IP address
    myhostname = the second hostname

Execute:
    # postfix stop
    # postfix start

If you can't have more than one IP address, then the solution is to
configure Apache James to listen on a port other than 25, and to
configure Postfix to send mail to that port instead of 25.

   4. James requires SMTP AUTH, so mail relayed to it from Sendmail will
need to follow the log in protocols.

Documented in:
http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#client_sasl

I won't need Postfix to receive and process email for local users
either, just need the Sendmail API for other applications running on the
servers.

Please don't use standard terminology in non-standard ways. That
results only in massive confusion.

An API is an application programming interface: a library call or
a kernel call. The only Sendmail API in general use is the mail
filter (Milter) API. This Sendmail API is not designed to deliver
mail from one system to another.

Not sure if i really understand the OP but it looks like the only thing needed is a "sendmail" command handing over the mail to James which should be the SMTP service on that machine. So maybe something like mini_sendmail would be more appropriate for this use case.

Regards

Andreas