Wietse Venema:
> Tom Kinghorn:
> > Jul 12 12:05:29 mx1 postfix/smtpd[27176]: 461D2412E34:
> > client=localhost[127.0.0.1]
> > Jul 12 12:05:29 mx1 postfix/master[1687]: warning: process
> > /usr/lib/postfix/cleanup pid 16159 killed by signal 6
>
> "signal 6" means that the cleanup daemon logged a "panic" message
> that specifies the cause for aborting.

Another possibility is that Postfix is linked with a library that
aborts the program. Libraries should never do that, but hey, this
is open source, and any idiot can contribute.

> Apparently, you are using a syslog implementation that logs different
> severity levels to different files. I suggest that you search for
> lines with "panic" in all email-related logfiles.
>
> By the way, this means that NO MAIL IS LOST. The SMTP client did
> not receive an SMTP acknowledgment, and will resend.

If it's an abort in a library routine, then these instructions
may help to identify the culprit.

http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#gdb