Victor Duchovni:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 05:56:42PM -0400, Jerry wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 17:35:56 -0400
> > Victor Duchovni articulated:
> >
> > > Indeed. Returning to the original topic though, I have a postmast(1)
> > > patch that adds a new utility that does with master.cf what
> > > postconf(1) does with main.cf. In particular it supports:
> > >
> > >     postmast      - show all entries in a machine-parseable normal
> > > form postmast -n  - show non-default entries
> > >     postmast -d   - show default entries
> > >     postmast -e - edit or add master.cf entries via CLI.
> > >
> > > I don't whether this is of sufficiently broad utility to warrant
> > > inclusion in the official release.
> >
> > It gets a "Thumbs Up" from me. Perhaps a link similar to the
> > "postfinger" tool might a adequate, although I favor the inclusion
> > concept.
>
> The utility uses various Postfix library functions, and builds properly
> only within the Postfix source distribution, so if not adopted by Wietse,
> it would be an unofficial "patch", and I don't think that releasing it
> as a patch makes much sense. If the community feels it's useful, perhaps
> Wietse will adopt it, otherwise it can quitely disappear...

I think this is an example of 0.1% benefit. It makes the learning
curve steeper, because it inserts an unfamiliar program between
the user and an unfamiliar file format. It does not help the people
who make the mistakes.

Like other mistakes, this user's mistake could be addressed by
adding an extra "helpful error message" to the master daemon (if
the line starts with '-<letter> then it's pretty surely a bad line
continuation).