Daniel Mare:
> Hi Geert, it's an engineering office and people constantly email
> big drawings, e.g. 20Mb to each other.  Sure email is not a file
> transfer protocol, but customers email in these drawings and staff
> would then forward these emails on to each other - separating
> attachments out and ftp'ing them would slow down the workflow.
>
> There must be a way to set up distributed domains in postfix?  I

Sure.  I did that years before I wrote Postfix. The idea is to use
location-independent email addresses (u...@example.com) for the
population.

The mail domain is distributed across multiple physical servers,
some of which may also be primary MX for the distributed domain.
Each mail server forwards mail to the "right" physical server
using a shared alias database.

/etc/postfix/main.cf:
    myorigin = $mydomain
    mydestination = $myhostname $mydomain localhost.$mydomain localhost
    virtual_alias_maps = some replicated database

In the replicated database:
    #lookup value    lookup result
    us...@example.com u...@postfixserver1.example.com
    us...@example.com u...@postfixserver2.example.com

The replicated database has one record for all recipients including
root, postmaster, and so on. Replication can be done with rsync,
LDAP, *SQL, and so on.

To receive some email addresses on the server itself, see:
http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html#some_local

In addition, each mail server needs to have a local database table
for its own users. Those users can be the UNIX system password file,
a Postfix virtual alias domain, or a Postfix virtual mailbox domain.