On 2011-09-08 22:33, Bob Proulx wrote:
I have been trying to deduce if it is possible to force a message
waiting in the mail queue with temporary errors (domain name
resolution failures) to bounce right now instead of waiting for the
timeout.

The mail queue has messages addressed to unreachable addresses.  I
know that if I do nothing that eventually they will expire normally
and a delivery status notification will be produced back to the
sender.  But having investigated them in detail I know that those
addresses can never be delivered.  I would like them to bounce back to
the sender now so that they are notified now of their undeliverability
instead of waiting.  The sender is a local user.

Is it possible to do this such as through using the postsuper command?
I know I can delete the messages.  But can I cause them to bounce
without waiting?  I don't want to delete them but want the sender to
get a normal bounce back so that they are notified normally that the
addresses are undeliverable.

I have been reading the man page documentation for postsuper in as
much detail as I can muster and if it is in there I do not see it.
But it seems like this is something that is very likely to be
possible.  If so I would love to be educated on how to do it.

Altering the status in-queue will be difficult, so you will have to devise a trick.

You can try setting maximal_queue_lifetime to 0, and forcing a queue run.
This will immediately bounce any messages already in the deferred queue, and not influence new mail unduly (since one presumes not a lot of messages will have this problem over a short window of time).

Remember to set it back to normal after the queues are cleared!

--
J.