Jeroen Geilman wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> >The mail queue has messages addressed to unreachable addresses.  I
> >know that if I do nothing that eventually they will expire normally
>
> Altering the status in-queue will be difficult, so you will have to
> devise a trick.
>
> You can try setting maximal_queue_lifetime to 0, and forcing a queue run.
> This will immediately bounce any messages already in the deferred
> queue, and not influence new mail unduly (since one presumes not a
> lot of messages will have this problem over a short window of time).
>
> Remember to set it back to normal after the queues are cleared!

I think that is a good trick and experimenting with it I find that it
did exactly what I wished to do and exactly answered my question.
Within the constraints of this specialized system and other caveats.
It worked for me and all of that.  Thank you for that suggestion!
However on the actual machine I executed Wietse's solution.  It
executed with more targeted precision.  On this system I did reduce
the maximal_queue_lifetime to a shorter value to avoid this in the
future.

Thanks!
Bob