>> Got it.  I misunderstood you before.  May I ask why using 465 for
>> Thunderbird and Squirrelmail would be better than 587 for Thunderbird
>> and 25 for Squirrelmail talking to localhost?
>
> I'm quite sure that he never said to use 465 for Thunderbird.  The
> reason you don't want to use port 25 for submission is because it
> doesn't work ideally for submission.  Port 25 generally needs to have
> much more strict anti-spam, anti-virus, etc measures on it than you
> would take with submission.  This becomes very clear if you want to
> start using postscreen which can completely screw up submission when
> doing the post-greeting tests, or if you are greylisting.  Certainly
> there are many other reasons as well.

I am using postscreen but it doesn't perform any checks on clients in
mynetworks.   The Squirrelmail client submitting to port 25 is on the
same machine as postfix.

Does postscreen only operate on port 25 by default or do I need to
configure that?

main.cf:
postscreen_greet_action = enforce
postscreen_pipelining_enable = yes
postscreen_pipelining_action = enforce
postscreen_non_smtp_command_enable = yes
postscreen_non_smtp_command_action = enforce
postscreen_bare_newline_enable = yes
postscreen_bare_newline_action = enforce

- Grant