On 15/3/2012 11:30 μμ, Wietse Venema wrote:

One set of config files will produce the same result ONLY if you
use it with the same Postfix version.

Postfix actually updates config files so that they keep producing the same
result as with your older Postfix version, to the extent that this is possible.

Thank you for your clarifications. It's very reassuring to know that upgrades will not break the software due to config incompatibilities.

Software upgrades are often truly *horrifying* and need time and effort (in reading - sometimes hard-to-find - documentation, planning and testing) to a great extent due to this.

I (partly) understand the effort on the programmer's (your) part to support the implicit "automatic migration" of settings from version to version and I thank you for it. You could simply document changes and leave to us the burden (and still no one could blame you).

By the way, this mechanism supports upgrading from ANY version to ANY version? Or there is some suggested upgrade path?

Finally - as I have not had any replies on my question -, I repeat that I think that there should be no difference between "make upgrade" and "rpm -Uvh", provided that the same paths are in use. (I'll test this hypothesis anyway, but it's good to know others' experience on such matters.)

Thanks,
Nick