Quoting Henrik K <h...@hege.li>:

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 11:04:43AM +0100, Sam Jones wrote:
Just imagine whitelisting a shared, spammy server because a domain is
hosted on it. Naturally it will probably come through greylisting in the
end anyway, but I'd not go out of my way to make it easy on them!

A shared server or similar could be sending both ham and spam. I'm sure you
would rather receive the ham instead of rejecting it straight away.  After
all, you do have _more_ defence layers than just the simple rbl/greylisting
at MTA stage which we are talking about bypassing here?

Someone commented about autoresponders.. every good admin should block them
to suspicious mails anyway. I sure have lots of processing on my relay which
prevents autoreplying to anything even smelling like spam. Stupid Outlookers..

Why bother whitelisting any ip address? I have my system flag the outgoing and incoming email address.

If the from address and the to address, are reversed from how the email went from me to them, AND it passes other checks, like spf, THEN that email can come directly in.

This isn't affected by shared servers, whitelisting incorrect ip addresses, and other issues.

I also run most of my domains with different incoming and outgoing ip addresses for email.