On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 08:36:37PM +0000, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 08:06:06AM +0200, Robert Schetterer wrote:
>
> > you can split up this with e.g. transport tables
>
> Yes, but these are then different on the destination hosts
> (local delivery) than on the origin hosts (smtp delivery to
> the destination hosts). This precludes a central data source
> for the transport tables (LDAP, SQL, ...).

Wouldn't the table be unused on the destination host?  That doesn't
seem to me to preclude a central store.

> Generally, it is better to rewrite the recipient addresses from a
> shared virtual domain (example.com) to a recipient specific
> destination domain (site.example.com) and just let site-local
> "mydestination" or "virtual_mailbox_domains", ... settings
> determine whether the mail is forwarded or delivered locally.

Having worked with a system done your way and a system which preserved
constant envelopes, I would say that the differences are minor and
essentially a matter of taste.

--
  Ben Rosengart           "Like all those possessing a library,
  Sendmail, Inc.           Aurelian was aware that he was guilty of

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender.
Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.