On Sep 3, 2012, at 03:56, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 02, 2012 at 07:14:35PM +0100, Sam Jones wrote:
>
>> I guess what I'm querying in a way is some of the sales blurb from
>> people like PowerMTA & GreenArrow and the remarks they make about open
>> source solutions like Postfix etc. This one in particular: "Open source
>> Mail Transfer Agents (MTAs) often max out between 20 and 30 thousand
>> messages per hour. GreenArrow can send 300,000 messages per hour?more
>> than ten times as fast."
>
> As I said, I measured 300 msgs/sec with Postfix on relatively modest
> hardware in 2003. This is not too difficult, just configure sufficient
> output concurrency, and provide a low latency disk (battery cache
> striped RAID).
>
> With RAM disk (a queue-manager bottleneck analysis, circa five
> years ago) Postfix yielded ~3000 msgs/sec on a dual Opteron box
> delivering to the discard transport. So that's your ceiling if you
> provide sufficient disk and network bandwidth, eventually the queue
> manager runs out of CPU, but this is at rates approaching 10 million
> messages an hour.
>
> The throughput numbers are not that interesting anymore, I go for
> reliability, security and flexibility. I also go for a solid
> architecture that degrades well under load, and that's why I
> really like Postfix, but this is a difficult point to make,
> most people are not in a position to understand why Postfix
> stands out in this regard.

In other words, if 'we strip this back to hypothetical and assume a
perfect world without any issues', this 'GreenArrow' maxes out at
300,000 messages per hour. Postfix can send 10,8 million messages per
hour, more than 35 times as fast*.

Lies, damn lies, and vendor benchmarks, heh.

Cya,
Jona

--

* Tests performed in an optimized lab environment. Operational
  restrictions may apply in real world environments.