* Sam Jones <sam_jone...@btinternet.com>:
> I guess what I'm querying in a way is some of the sales blurb from
> people like PowerMTA & GreenArrow and the remarks they make about open
> source solutions like Postfix etc. This one in particular: "Open source
> Mail Transfer Agents (MTAs) often max out between 20 and 30 thousand
> messages per hour. GreenArrow can send 300,000 messages per hour—more
> than ten times as fast."

My desktop machine - the very same one I'm writing this mail on - is
currently delivering 65 messages per second to a smtp-sink. On a
single 2TB SATA drive that will probably suffer a heart attack if you
even so much as threaten it with more than 20 IOPS/s. That's while
watching a 1080p video (footage from my last holiday). With no tuning
whatsoever.

Granted, not a real world use case, but still, don't trust everything
you read on the web.

Stefan