On 09/19/2012 02:16 PM, Jim Reid wrote:
> On 19 Sep 2012, at 12:49, Milo wrote:
>
>> On 09/19/2012 01:41 PM, Jim Reid wrote:
>>> If you want to know what domains are actually in the DNS or
>>> what data are there, consult the DNS - not whois.
>>
>> This is incorrect.
>
> Well one of us is wrong. And it's not me. :-)
> I will repeat what I said above. If you want to know what domains are
> actually in the DNS or what data are there, consult the DNS - not whois.

Plain wrong :) . check if domain exist - and if not - you have answer
why there are no DNS entries for it. They can't be without domain's
existence.

You are trying to answer question I wasn't asking. I discovered that
there is no such domain (typo as we know). At this point I have answer
to question why there are no NS entries on EURid's servers for this
domain and from where some inconsistencies are possibly originating.

> The existence (or not) of a domain name and the DNS data associated with
> that name have nothing whatsoever to do with whois.

No domain no, DNS entries. Simple as this. One more time - with whois
you can check if domain exist. If it doesn't there should be no DNS
entries for it.

These are two
> different protocols designed for different purposes that use different
> software and hardware. If you choose to believe that's false, go ahead.

Here you are introducing totally different topic I'm afraid.

> Now there can be a direct relationship between a whois entry and a
> domain name which was delegated by a TLD registry. But this can't be
> guaranteed or assumed. Not all domain names are TLD delegations either.
> And there rarely, if ever, is a whois service for the domain names which
> have been added to the DNS beneath these TLD delegation points. If you
> choose to believe these facts are false too, be my guest.

If there is no domain there will be no DNS entries and subdomains. And
this is not assumption but rule and law. In fact I don't know
registry/registrar who isn't guaranteeing/creating DNS entries _after_
domain creating. Think about usefulness of such domains.

I'm not saying that all the domain's are TLD - no idea why you are
suggesting this. You can _always_ find NS entry on registry's DNS
servers for existing domain - no matter where it was later delegated.

> BTW, the original problem that was reported concerned DNS
> inconsistencies when looking up www.pimda.eu. I look forward to your
> explanation of how checking whois solved that.

You already know that I made mistake by checking wrong domain but my
explanation of inconsistency was quite plausible so this comment isn't
necessary.

Finally: you didn't saw connection between whois and DNS. Connection is
that when you are sure that domain doesn't exist (and this is something
you can check using whois) there should be no DNS entries. If they are -
this is bad situation :)

--
Regards,
Milo