On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 12:25:03PM -0500, Simon Brereton wrote:

> >> I did postmap the virtual_alias_maps.  Is there something else I should I
> >> do?
> >
> > No, but you've likely misconfigured other elements of the system.
>
> I think this is ok.  Output is:
> mail:/etc/postfix# postconf -h virtual_alias_maps
> proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/Mail-Alias.cf, hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_user_aliases

So you have two tables mysql and a hash table.

> >         $ postmap -fq newu...@example.com $maps

After setting "maps" to the exact list tables you configured.

        $ postmap -fq newu...@example.com \
                mysql:/etc/postfix/Mail-Alias.cf \
                hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_user_aliases

You almost certainly have an entry for "newu...@example.com"
in the mysql table that hides any data in the hash table. Perhaps
you should list the hash table first, if you want it to take
precedence over mysql.

> >         To check that the result of the expansion of the user via
> >         $virtual_alias_maps.
>
> Here I ran into problems.
> mail:/etc/postfix# postmap -fq newu...@example.org $maps
> postmap: fatal: usage: postmap [-Nfinoprsvw] [-c config_dir] [-d key]
> [-q key] [map_type:]file...
>  postfix/postmap[31144]: fatal: usage: postmap [-Nfinoprsvw] [-c
> config_dir] [-d key] [-q key] [map_type:]file...

I'm disappointed you could not then figure it out by reading the manpage,
or parsing the "usage:" message.

        postmap -q key map [optionally more maps]

--
        Viktor.