On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 13:09:26 -0600
Noel Jones articulated:

> On 1/7/2013 12:32 PM, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> > My installation of Postfix has been running without a problem for
> > over two years. Suddenly it refused to accept mail from my MUA
> > "Claws-Mail." This is the output of the claws mail log:

> > [13:20:00] ESMTP< 250-AUTH CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN
> > [13:20:00] ESMTP< 250-AUTH=CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5 PLAIN LOGIN
>
> OK, AUTH is offered with CRAM-MD5 and others.
>
> > [13:20:00] ESMTP> AUTH CRAM-MD5
> > [13:20:00] ESMTP< 334
> > PDYzNzUyMDA4NC4xNTQwNTYwMEBzY29ycGlvLnNlaWJlcmNvbS5uZXQ+
>
> The client tries to AUTH with CRAM-MD5...
>
> > [13:20:00] ESMTP< 535 5.7.8 Error: authentication failed: no
> > mechanism available. For assistance, please provide the following
> > information in your problem report: time (Jan 07 13:20:00), client
> > (76.182.104.150) and server (scorpio.seibercom.net).
>
> ... but CRAM-MD5 is broken.  This looks like some sort of problem in
> the SASL backend.
>

> > ~ $ postconf -n
> > dovecot_destination_recipient_limit = 1
>
> Looks as if you're using Dovecot.
>
> > smtp_sasl_type = cyrus
>
> You've defined cyrus for outgoing SASL.  That's probably OK since
> dovecot doesn't provide outgoing SASL.
>
> > smtpd_relay_restrictions = permit_mynetworks
> > permit_sasl_authenticated defer_unauth_destination
>
> Appears you're using a recent postfix snapshot.  Obviously some
> things have changed in the last 2 years, so "suddenly stopped
> working" isn't entirely accurate.
>
> > smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
> > smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = yes
> > smtpd_sasl_local_domain = $myhostname
> > smtpd_sasl_path = smtpd
> > smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous, noplaintext
> > smtpd_sasl_tls_security_options = noanonymous
> > smtpd_tls_CAfile = /usr/local/etc/postfix/certs/cacert.pem
>
> I don't see smtpd_sasl_type listed.  The default type is cyrus.  Is
> that what you intend?  Looks as if you're using dovecot elsewhere.

I discovered the problem. One of my soon to be EX associates updated
some applications on the machine last night. One of them being
cyrus-sasl2 port. They failed to compile either mysql or bdb support
into the program. Once I became aware of the problem I simple
recompiled the port and now all is well with the world again.

--
Jerry ✌
postfix-u...@seibercom.net