On 01/13/2013 02:54 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
Robert Moskowitz:
My thoughts on this is which provides a better delete function?
For main.cf, postconf already uses the following syntax:

     postconf mynetworks ...     show main.cf entry(or entries)
     postconf -# mynetworks ...  comment out main.cf entry
     postconf -X mynetworks ...  delete main.cf entry

Using the same approach for master.cf:

     postconf -M inet.smtp ...   show master.cf entry(or entries)
     postconf -M# inet.smtp ...  comment out master.cf entry
     postconf -MX inet.smtp ...  delete master.cf entry

Less syntax to learn, fewer mistakes to make.

Oh, excellent and very clear. Thank you. Now these parts of the man page make more sense.

It does raise a question if there is an uncomment option? For example submission is commented in the master.cf and a very frequent uncomment target.

I can see, though that this could be really hard as to how to recognize a comment line as a commented parameter line.