On 01/14/2013 03:59 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
Robert Moskowitz:
It does raise a question if there is an uncomment option? For example
submission is commented in the master.cf and a very frequent uncomment
target.
I don't understand how that would work.
Actually, I don't either!

SInce both main.cf and master.cf are just text files that anyone can edit, how does postconf determine that a comment line is really a parameter that can be uncommented? Rather hard and wrong actions can happen all to frequently.

When I looked at the comment open (-#) my immediate reaction was an uncomment option (--#). But then I spent a few brain cells on thinking about how it would work and realized that it would be open to bad behaviour. Still a nice idea.

You see way back in the early 80s, I was a Database development manager at a company that used a CODYSL (probably got that acroymn wrong, think I am missing a letter) database system. I typically had 3-4 applications groups putting in database changes over a weekend and typically one would fail and have to back out their changes, so I had to develop a schema file management system to maintain this and since I had complete control over the schema file content, I COULD do things like uncomment. But those were simplier days and no one, but my database people, were allowed to touch the schema files. No hand editing allowed; use the management system we developed only. I think this is another reason why I am pre-disposed to perfering postconf to maintain the .cf files. Oh, back then we programed in 'B'; really!

So just wishful thinking on a users part.

Thank you for all you are doing.