On Jan 25, 2013, at 15.07, Jeff Bernier wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I am currently running Mailman (2.1.14) and Postfix (2.4.3) on an aging Mac
> OS X server (10.5.8). Mailman and Postfix on this system are Apple's
> implementation on their platform of course. Apple no longer supports the
> Xserve platform, and I am in need of replacing this system, and upgrading
> to newer versions of Postfix and Mailman.

you may already know this, but do note that while the xserve and mac os x
server have gone away, the underlying components themselves [apple and
otherwise] have not, and are now just hidden away within "regular" mac os x.
apple sells software that you add to your standard install to provide the apple
management mechanisms as were found in os x server.  of course, this means that
an xserve is not needed either, since it runs just fine on any mac.

that being said, *do not* misinterpret this information as a suggestion or
encouragement that you do this - it is intended only as information, for the
sake of it.  quite to the contrary, if i were to offer encouragement, it would
be to move away from apple products for this sort of thing, but not because the
platform has changed.

> We use Postfix for our on campus SMTP Gateway, and Mailman for a small
> number of active lists. The traffic is light.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good replacement to this? Recommended Unix/Linux?

whatever os you prefer is likely perfectly fine.  i'd encourage you to use an
operating system you're comfortable with rather than a particular os just for
the sake of postfix.  what's more important is that you run reasonably current
versions of the software - this may or may not mean using the version available
in the operating system's software repositories.

> Is a VM environment an option?

in a nutshell - certainly, of course.  many people routinely run mail servers
on virtual guests.  degree of utilization can always become a factor, be it a
virtual guest or otherwise, but even moderately high loads can be quite
efficiently accommodated by a competent admin.

-ben