On Fri, 25 Jan 2013, b...@bitrate.net wrote:

On Jan 25, 2013, at 15.07, Jeff Bernier wrote:

Hello All,

I am currently running Mailman (2.1.14) and Postfix (2.4.3) on an aging Mac
OS X server (10.5.8). Mailman and Postfix on this system are Apple's
implementation on their platform of course. Apple no longer supports the
Xserve platform, and I am in need of replacing this system, and upgrading
to newer versions of Postfix and Mailman.

you may already know this, but do note that while the xserve and mac os x server have gone away, the underlying components themselves [apple and otherwise] have not, and are now just hidden away within "regular" mac os x. apple sells software that you add to your standard install to provide the apple management mechanisms as were found in os x server. of course, this means that an xserve is not needed either, since it runs just fine on any mac.

that being said, *do not* misinterpret this information as a suggestion or encouragement that you do this - it is intended only as information, for the sake of it. quite to the contrary, if i were to offer encouragement, it would be to move away from apple products for this sort of thing, but not because the platform has changed.

While I have no experience with OS X Server, I have been running a mail server (and related software) on OS X (Client) for several years. Most software for the "server" was installed from sources although I used the Apple provided versions of Postfix and amavisd-new. However, I am currently still running Lion on that machine and from what testing I've done, do not see an easy path forward to Mountain Lion (the current OS X version). In the upgrade to Mountain Lion, a lot of stuff was moved and some things (like amavisd-new) removed.

One of the problems of the past was Apple's constant behind the scenes changes which required some reconfiguration at every major upgrade. If I do ever move forward with trying to upgrade, I most likely will go "build from sources" for everything (ignoring Apple's provided Postfix) with everything in /usr/local (which Apple so far does not touch) so that I am not at the whim of their changes.

-- Larry Stone
   lston...@stonejongleux.com