On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 3:17 AM, /dev/rob0 <r...@gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 05:51:08PM +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>> i am using virtual users and domains, where i have 2 virtual domains
>> and few users in both. i would like getmail to fetch email via pop3
>
> First, I'll note that this is mostly off topic. Postfix has little to
> do with this, only incidentally.

yes, i agree but i would be thankful for every peace of help. :)

> You'll have to run getmail as the system user/group who owns the
> mailbox. The Postfix settings which might apply are virtual_uid_maps
> and virtual_gid_maps. This user (or users, as the case may be) must
> have a valid shell (which you generally would not want in the case of
> virtual delivery.)

our users are not that good in Linux they can not manage this file by
them selves i think i have to define all users in one file if possible
and manage it by user Root.

> It looks like you made a $HOME for your virtual users; that's good.
> You can keep your files in /maildb/vmail/$domain/$user/.getmail, or
> perhaps even in /maildb/vmail/.getmail if it's all one user, as it is
> in almost every case. You can make a cron job for the user[s] to
> getmail. Refer to the examples as provided by Robert.

actually i want to define all users in one file. by user root and by
cron job i will fetch all the messages. is it possible defining all
the users and their destination in /maildb/vmail/.getmail as shared by
you. sorry for my newbie question i am very new with getmail so before
getting involve with it i am trying to make a good ground.

> You have weakened the security of your virtual system by providing
> this user a real shell and having it call out to the Internet. Thus
> why I say this should be done by a system user. If your virtual user
> is compromised, all your mail might be at stake. If a system user is
> compromised, only that user's mail (and other files) is at risk.

i think security will not be an issue. since i haven't published my
postfix box and our internal users are not that smart :) they just
need their emails one way or another.

Thanks