On 03/14/2013 05:07 PM, Kris Deugau wrote:
> Jerry wrote:
>> Personally, I have no idea why anyone uses "procmail". For relatively
>> fine grain sorting of mail upon delivery, I use Dovecot and Sieve. From
>> what I can ascertain, procmail hasn't even been maintained in over a
>> decade.
>
> Sieve can't call outside programs (eg SpamAssassin) by design.  IMO the
> inability to call any external filtering programs (even from a
> restricted whitelist) makes overall mail filtering significantly harder.
>
> -kgd

To complete this discussion, recent sieve standards/proposals have
support for a generic interface to external spam and virus filters such
as spamassassin, called at sieve runtime (i.e. not decisions based on
earlier added headers), see [1].

Pigeonhole sieve for Dovecot [2] supports this. pigoenhole also has
experimental support calling arbitrary external programs in an
administrator-controlled way [3], which I use with great success to add
spamtrap messages to a database.

I hope this might convince people to try sieve once more as a
replacement for procmail ;)

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5235
[2] http://pigeonhole.dovecot.org/
[3] http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Plugins/Extprograms