On 4/15/2013 7:24 AM, Jan P. Kessler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry, I know this is not directly related to postfix but I know that
> there are several very experienced people reading this list. My question
> is how you (the people that use and administer mailservers) handle the
> localpart case sensivity according to rfc5321:
>
>     "The local-part of a mailbox MUST BE treated as case sensitive."
>
> Background ist the development of postfwd rate limiting, which allows
> amongst others to place maximum values (count or volume) for sender or
> recipient addresses. To do so postfwd creates a hash with the given
> address as index. At the moment it is easy to "trick" such limits by
> varying the case of the addresses, meaning that postfwd will create
> different counters for bob@alice.local, BoB@alice.local and bob@AlicE.local.
>
> No question - with future versions postfwd will definitely treat the
> domainpart case-insensitive, so that bob@alice.local and bob@AlicE.local
> will have the same counter. But for the localpart I see two options,
> wondering which I should choose:
>
> 1.) Being strictly rfc5321 compliant:
> By default postfwd creates two different counters for bob@alice.local
> and BoB@alice.local. To change this the admin has to specify
> --non-rfc5321-rate-case-sensivity (or s.th. similar).
>
> 2.) Being real-world compliant:
> By default postfwd uses the same counter for bob@alice.local and
> BoB@alice.local. To change this the admin has to specify
> --strict-rfc5321-rate-case-sensivity.
>
> What's your opinion on that? Do you know any real-world systems that
> distinguish between bob@alice.local and BoB@alice.local (means that both
> point to different mailboxes).
>
> Thank you in advance
>   Jan

I believe the RFC is mostly saying that MTAs must not alter the
localpart case prior to final delivery, which postfwd cannot do
regardless.

As for a sane default, case-insensitive makes the most sense as that
will be the overwhelming majority of end users.

The option to enable case-sensitive operation should probably be a
per-domain property.  But almost no one will use it.

Several years ago I worked with some windows-based mail system that
had case-sensitive localparts, so they do -- or did -- exist.
Fortunately that customer just used all-lowercase usernames.
(Their users were constantly getting failed mail because they forgot
to lower-case the username. I can't imagine anyone doing this on
purpose.)

  -- Noel Jones