Thanks to anybody for sharing your opinions and thoughts. I decided that
the default rate limit functions will operate completely
case-insensitive, because this seems to be what people (including me)
expect. As most people also seem to have expected that behaviour in the
past, I think this is one of the seldom cases where it makes sense to
'break' backwards compatibility.

Additionally I will add rate() functions with different names that treat
the local part case-sensitive, so that there will be an option to
control the behaviour per domain/address (or even other criteria) for
those who need it (condolences).

Again, thank you.

  Jan