On 5/2/2013 6:27 AM, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2013-05-01 07:14:37 -0500, /dev/rob0 wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 03:44:19PM -0700, Steve Jenkins wrote:
>>>         warn_if_reject reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname,
>>
>> Safe, because many large receivers do this as well.
>
> That's interesting. Several months ago, I intended to add it, but
> I noticed that legitimate mail I received sometimes contained
> "unknown" (at least for some user), e.g.

>         by ioooi.vinc17.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 017ED31D51
>         for <vinc...@vinc17.org>; Tue, 19 Jul 2011 05:03:52 +0200 (CEST)
>
> and at that time, I thought that the machine didn't have a correct
> reverse hostname, so that I thought that adding this option would be
> bad. But if I grep all the messages from this IP, I now notice that
> for most of them, I get "host1743300226138.direcway.com" instead of
> "unknown", which occurs only from time to time. This makes me think
> that the "unknown" could just be due to a temporary failure, but
> with the above option, the mail wouldn't be rejected (it would just
> be delayed from time to time due to the 450 reply, as documented).
> Is this correct?
>
> Regards,

If the DNS lookup fails with a temporary error, the mail will be
deferred.

It's important to note that not all clients labeled as "unknown"
will be rejected by reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname.

For enlightenment, compare the docs on
reject_unknown_client_hostname (a strict test not widely used), with
the docs on reject_unknown_reverse_client_hostname (a generally safe
check).

Very strict:
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#reject_unknown_client_hostname

Generally safe: