In our conversations, the overall goal was to have a stand-alone mail server
running Ubuntu and whatever mail packages are installed in [as close to default
as possible] configuration.  The server should remain isolated and not be
connected to any other box or resource.  We would call into it programmatically
for all administrative functions.  Since we are a Microsoft shop, there is an
overwhelming concern (read "fear") that we will be less qualified to maintain
the platform as we add other services to the mix... in essence, we need to keep
the overall mail platform as simplistic as possible to increase the chance that
our folks can maintain it with ease.  Unless an LDAP server was an absolute
requirement for Postfix we could not look at it.  And, more than likely, if it
was a requirement, we would probably look to a different product.

Early on in this project we were given a requirement to allow our members the
ability to receive "messages" from our server via IMAP.  Someone assumed
writing an IMAP server service would be simple and that we would have the
cycles to do so.  Over time we have discouraged this and tried to find another
IMAP service that will be able to marshal and deliver our messages to the
client.  This was unsuccessful.  Postfix, and a simple server like Ubuntu,
seems like the easiest method for dropping in a box that can receive messages
and allow a standard email client to pull them down.  Ultimately, it would be
great to find an IMAP Server Service to negotiate the client calls act as a
proxy to our application.  Until then, Postfix appears to be the path we are on.

I hope this helps.

- G. Deward