On 06/02/2013 06:55 PM, Erwan David wrote:
Le 02/06/2013 18:12, Wietse Venema a écrit :
Lars Nielsen:
s?n, 02 06 2013 kl. 12:14 -0300, skrev Mike:
On 13-06-02 11:52 AM, Lars Nielsen wrote:
Hey List,

What is the most common solution to monitoring your postfix mailservers?
I use Icinga and Munin. Is there a good integration to these?

That really depends on what you want to monitor about them. What are
they used for?

My primary use is to recieve emails for my domains. Next I want to relay
general emails for a limited amount of authenticated users.
Then, I suppose the appropriate test would send test email messages
into the SMTP port, and raise an alert when some test message does
not reach its destination within a suitable time limit.

For example, periodically send email to mailboxname+timest...@example.com,
and parse the "to=<mailboxname+timest...@example.com>" and
"status=delivered" out of the logfile record stream.

    Wietse

This kind of monitoring is usually done with a tool named "user". This tool will phone you less than a minute after the system has a malfunction.

Very drole, but not realistic.

The outages you want to detect are 3-hour queue buildups at 2 AM on a Sunday due to a database problem, or outgoing SMTP failing.

On a busy server, such an outage could mean a server overload.

That is why you want to test the entire mail flow, not just queues or incoming mail.

--
J.