On 07/01/2013 07:24 PM, Abhijeet Rastogi wrote:
Hi all,

- Current'y, for outbound spam protection, I use combination of header checks, rbls, a commercial product that works as a milter. - Now, I need to evaluate another product which doesn't work as a milter & I've to authenticate via SSL to their SMTP server and relay all mails via them.

The deal is to accurately determine which spam solution performs better. For that I'll need to duplicate traffic and send it to both, my local and this new spam solution. This is going to be tricky because I need the mail to be received only once at the recipient side (so can't use always_bcc) but I want it to be scanned via two different spam solutions.

Can anyone guide me as to how do I proceed? What are the possible ways to achieve this? Thanks

If all this new solution will be doing is content scanning (as opposed to sender/recipient white/blacklisting, IP reputation, DNSBLs etc), simply always_bcc it to a blanket test@yourdomain, transport(5) it to the new filter, and then back to your own MTA, and devnull it there, or store it to see what was filtered.

A slightly more advanced implementation of the above would be a relay_domains with a regex'ed or localpart-only relay_recipient_maps to transcribe all recipients from user@originaldomain to user@test.originaldomain, and do the same as above.

Otherwise, not delivering duplicates will be a nigh-on impossible task, unless you are prepared to temporarily switch the solutions (with the new one becoming the active one) and discard your own copies. Note that this won't be any better than simply switching to the new solution.

Also note that having your email scanned in its entirety by a third party is not the most secure of implementations. To say the least.

--
J.