Wietse,

Thank you very much for your response. I'd mentioned that I'd tried this
approach in my first message. You are, however, correct.

I was misreading the maillog when I thought it was sending the message and
well as hitting my script.  I need to look at the daemon/queue/service that
is logging the message instead of just assuming the to=<> field means that
it was going out over SMTP.

The thing I was missing, for history, are the following:

1) With this method, the command line arguments to the script are not the
original recipient; they are about the new recipient who is getting the
bounce notification (the bounce_notice_recipient). This seems obvious now,
after a break of a couple hours.  After hitting my heads against it all
morning I was fairly numb.

2) The contents of the email are given to the script as standard input.
This is well document all over the internet, but - since I kept thinking of
this as the same as piping the bounce service - I missed the message
contents completely and was just focusing on the macros passing arguments to
the script.

Thanks for pointing out the fields that I need to look for! That made my
life significantly easier in this instance.

Your help has been invaluable!