On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 10:03:32PM +0200, azurIt wrote:
> [...]
snip

> One note to all fans of 'spam filters rejecting' here: Did you even
> notice that NO ONE of big e-mail providers are rejecting messages
> based on standard spam filter techniques? Google, Yahoo, Microsoft,
> AT&T, ... No one is doing it, most of them have developed their own

No, I have not noticed that. Neither have you! You have noticed, at
the top of this thread, that gmail is rejecting you!

On the contrary, I have noticed that every major receiver has some
sort of pre-DATA filtering rules. I have noticed, when a server for
which I was responsible was listed on Spamhaus PBL or XBL, that I
wasn't delivering much of my mail at all. Every major site was
subject to delivery problems.

I've personally known Microsoft to accept and discard non-spam mail.
I've heard about Google doing the same.

> filtering systems and you must be really big spammer to be blocked
> permanently. The best of them is Google, just try their filters and
> you will see (even blocking which was used to us was targeted only
> to particular messages).

When my server's reverse DNS failed (blame my former colo provider,
not me), gmail rejected everything I sent.

You apparently have little experience with real-world email. Your
"quarantine, don't reject" ideals simply will not work for many
sites. I've told before of a heavily-spammed small business domain I
began hosting in 2005. The office manager, who was supposed to go
through the email and print the important ones out for the boss,
could literally do nothing else all day. Delete, delete, delete ...
hours on end. Almost through the inbox? Oops, it's time to go home!

I got her 8+ hour email sorting job down to about a half hour, by
using sane and reasonable spam blocking techniques.

Once one of her correspondents' mail host got listed on Spamhaus XBL,
and sure enough, we rejected that mail. The sender got a bounce and
knew that the mail didn't get through. So the sender called to ask.

See, it's a whole lot better for interoperability in the days of 90%+
traffic being spam and abuse to reject mail than to tuck it away in a
deep, dark quarantine where no one will ever have time to look.