Simon Loewenthal:
>  I have a postfix instance on Debian 6 that has never performed DNS
> lookups with version number 2.7.1-1+squeeze1.
>
> The mail.log lists all connections like
>
> Nov 6 17:40:54 lo postfix/smtpd[10283]: 4AD4292:
> client=unknown[82.2.1.3], sasl_method=PLAIN,
> sasl_username=exam...@example.com
> Nov 6 17:40:54 lo postfix/smtpd[10283]: disconnect from
> unknown[82.2.1.3]
> Real IP address obfuscated.

Debian chroot damage.

http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#no_chroot

Try turning off chroot operation in master.cf

A common mistake is to turn on chroot operation in the master.cf
file without going through all the necessary steps to set up a
chroot environment. This causes Postfix daemon processes to fail
due to all kinds of missing files.

The example below shows an SMTP server that is configured with
chroot turned off:

    /etc/postfix/master.cf:
        # =============================================================
        # service type  private unpriv  chroot  wakeup  maxproc command
        #               (yes)   (yes)   (yes)   (never) (100)
        # =============================================================
        smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       -       smtpd

Inspect master.cf for any processes that have chroot operation not
turned off. If you find any, save a copy of the master.cf file, and
edit the entries in question. After executing the command "postfix
reload", see if the problem has gone away.

If turning off chrooted operation made the problem go away, then
congratulations. Leaving Postfix running in this way is adequate
for most sites. If you prefer chrooted operation, see the Postfix
BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README file for information about how to prepare
Postfix for chrooted operation.