On Monday, November 11, 2013 20:41:05 Hans Spaans wrote:
> Stan Hoeppner schreef op 2013-11-09 04:22:
> > On 11/8/2013 4:05 AM, li...@rhsoft.net wrote:
> >> there are only rare situations where a chrooted postfix
> >> makes sense and so they should not making a problematic
> >> default which gains nothing on 999 out of 1000 setups
> >
> > The reason for chrooting Postfix is due to a Debian policy established
> > loooong ago, and it is not Postfix specific.  IIRC there's a class of
> > services that all get chrooted in Debian, but for the life of me I
> > can't
> > seem to find the policy doc that explains this.  So far I can't find it
> > in the Debian Policy Manual
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
> >
> > Not sure where it is, but the chroot policy is described somewhere.
> > Debian is pretty good WRT documentation.  Good at making it easy to
> > find
> > is another matter...
>
> As far as I know it was only under consideration long ago (around the
> time when Solaris Containers where introduced it became a topic again if
> I'm not mistaken) and it is an advisory for building packages on a
> developer machine. Postfix is still one of the few services doing it and
> I still wonder why as it makes things complex to a point where admins
> start playing with ln, chmod and cp to get things working. Reading
> bugreport 151692[1], seeing all the chroot bugreports and taking the
> request from the SELinux Debian Developers into account it makes me
> wonder a lot who is going to end this. Wietse or Debian Technical
> Committee.
>
> Hans
>
> [1] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=151692

This is increasingly off topic for postfix-users.  I'd suggest taking this up
in
a Debian specific forum.  Personally, I run postfix in a chroot everywhere, so
don't understand the fuss.  There are occasional problems and they get fixed.

The Debian maintainer has a different view than the upstream developer on
default configuration is not at all an unusual thing to happen, but it needs to
be addressed in the distro, not here.

Scott K